Gemstone cutting in Tanzania
with an introduction to the local geology
and a visit to the Umba river mines.
5-day Umba river
digging in the sapphire mines, where we find the following stones in various qualities: ruby, sapphire, rhodolite, yellow garnet, tsavorite, tourmaline green brown yellow, zircon, spinel, tremolite, kyanite etc.
Travel to Umba and back will take 1.5 days each trip.
5-day facet workshop
on Ultra-Tec V5 digital faceting machines. In addition cabbing and carving equippment is available.
The export of rough stones is again permitted. We will take care of the export of your cut and rough stones.
Total 14 days + 14 nights
US$ 2590.- Price per person in a double room.
US$ 2800.- Price per person in a single room.
The flight is not included.
|January 12th - 26th 2022|
|July 06th - 20st 2022|
Umba mining camp and hotel
Please make your reservation here|
For further information please contact:
Miss Noreen Masaki or
Lapidary Training Centre
P. O. Box 19668
Dar es Salaam
+255 787 721 761
Mr. Hubert Heldner
Free Form Artists
Avenue des Alpes 70
+41 21 963 89 77
- Privileged access to the mines.
- The stones you find are yours to keep. We negotiate and cover the necessary mining fees.
- Guides with a solid mineralogical and gemological background.
- Transportation within Tanzania including airport transfer, Hotel and breakfast during the entire Gemstone Safari.
- A team of cooks will take care of our 3 meals a day at the Umba river mine,
- and we have 9 self-contained double rooms at our disposal.
- Experienced miners, who will assist you on the mining sites.
- The necessary mining equipment is put at your disposal.
- We organize the necessary paperwork for export of all cut and rough gems.
- The export of rough stones and minerals is again permitted since mid February 2019.
- A restriction is in place for 8 rough minerals in facet quality larger than 2 grams. They are : Tanzanite, Diamond, Spinel, Tsavorite, Chrysoberyl-Alexandrite, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.
- Access to a gem cutting workshop, equipped with Ultra-Tec faceting machines and cabbing machines.
- A professional gem cutting service. Samples to appreciate our cut quality are here.
- And last but not least, expect to travel on rough roads and some nights with only basic facilities.
You organize yourself:
- Work clothes and appropriate boots for working in the mines.
- Sunscreen and sunhat (average temperatures 24-29°C / 75-84 F).
- One long sleeve shirt and mosquito repellent.
- Malaria prophylaxis is strongly recommended, see vaccination. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - CDC
- Not included in the package price are the lunch and dinner outside of Umba Valley mine.
- You make your flight arrangements to Dar-es-Salaam.
- Export taxes for cut gemstones 3%, for minerals and rough stones 7%, plus a commission for preparation of the necessary papers, are not included. You pay the additional cost during the trip yourself.
Amethyst & Garnet
We cut on Ultra-Tec
The gemstones you found and cut yourself in Tanzania can be set at your local jewelry shop.
You will wear not only a lasting value but also extraordinary memories.
The experienced team is welcoming you to a unique and exciting "educational adventure".